Boys & Girls Clubs Of Marin And Southern Sonoma Countieshttp://www.mpbgc.org
What We Do:
Our Mission is to inspire and enable all youth, especially those who need us most, to become responsible, caring citizens.Serving 5,300 youth throughout Marin and Petaluma.
Who We Are:
1949 - The Boys Club came about from an informal meeting after a youth was involved in an unlawful incident that caused the youth to be injured. A group of Petaluma businessmen got together to discuss ways of preventing future occurrences by implementing some type of constructive program. 1950 - Petaluma Boys Club is founded November 6, 1950. 1951 - The Petaluma Leghorns, a semi-pro football team coached by Gene Benedetti (a Boys' Club Board Member), was the first of a multitude of local businesses, organizations and individuals to raise funds and donate their time and services to construct the first clubhouse. 1958 - Opened first Clubhouse on September 11, 1958 at 426 Eighth Street. Ed O'Neill was the Club's first Executive Director. August Lepori was named the first Board President. 1958 - Petaluma Boys Club was incorporated September 15, 1958, and became a member of the Boys Club of America. Petaluma is the first Boys Club in the North Bay area to be formally recognized by the national organization. 1960 - On March 22, 1960, Petaluma Boys Club admits girls aged 8 through 15 to join in a seven week Summer Vacation Program. 1962 - The mothers of members of the Boys Club organize a club called the Petaluma Boys Club Moms and elect officers. 1978 - Name changed to Petaluma Boys and Girls Club. One of the first Clubs in the United States to offer full services for girls. 1983 - The Club Celebrates 25 Years of Serving the Petaluma Community. 1986 - In July, Joyce Levine is named first woman President of the Board of Directors. 1992 - Completed a $2.4 million Capital Campaign to renovate original branch and build a much needed second unit, the Lucchessi Clubhouse. This campaign was the largest fund-raising effort in the history of the City of Petaluma. 1994 - On March 1, 1994, the Alphabet Soup Thrift Store is opened. A joint fund-raising venture by the Petaluma Boys and Girls Clubs and the Petaluma Educational Foundation. 1998 - Over 40,000 youth served since 1958. 1998 - Opened third Clubhouse on December 31st at Round Walk Village. 2001 - Adopted expansion plan to open Clubs in all affordable housing complexes and to deepen impact of service through life-enhancing programs. 2001 - Opened fourth Clubhouse on September 4th at Corona Ranch. 2002 - Opened fifth Clubhouse on September 9th at Old Elm Village. 2005 - Opened sixth Clubhouse on June 10th at Washington Creek. 2005 - Opened seventh Clubhouse on June 10th at Downtown River. 2006 - Renovated gym at Lucchessi Clubhouse re-opens on June 12th 2007 - Opened eighth Clubhouse on January 15th at McDowell Elementary School. 2007 - Opened ninth Clubhouse on February 05, 2007 at McKinley Elementary School. 2008 - The Club Celebrates 50 Years of Serving the Petaluma Community. 2008 - Opened the first club in Marin County at Davidson Middle School. 2009 - Davidson opened in January 2009 2010- STAR Clubhouse opened in August 2010, serving students from Bayside Elementary and Willow Creek Academy in the Sausalito Marin City School District. 2013- STAR Clubhouse moved to Marin City and became the MLK Clubhouse. 2014- Clubs open in Corte Madera and Novato serving kids at The Cove School and San Jose Middle School. Currently serving 5,300 youth in Marin and Petaluma!